Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The creation of a thousand forests is in one Acorn

My new band of the week is The Acorn. I found out about them from a CBC radio program called Fuse. The program airs once a week on Wednesday night. It hosts a variety of artists, some famous (by Canadian standards) and some not so famous. The artists are paired up and music is made. Some of the more well known artists to play were Ron Sexsmith, Hawksley Workman, Rufus Wainwright and Stephen Fearing. Most of the shows are live at the studios here in Ottawa and the tickets are free.The Acorn, an indie band from the Ottawa Valley, was teamed up with two top classical orchestra players playing a chello and violin I believe. I tried to get tickets, was too late, and ended up not even catching the show on the radio. But I did some research online and downloaded their Live at Royal Albert Hall disc off their website. Download it for yourself here. It is definitely a decent indiepop disc and supposedly the new disc is quite a bit better. I am going to check it out for sure. These guys could be going places......

2 comments:

Irene said...

nifty post title, hon:)
oh and answer me this, why do they call themselves The Acorn ... ? seems weird to me, although all the bands you listen to have wierd names, wierd as in unique, wierd as in "i just don't understand why you would name a band that".

Reuben said...

I don't know. You will just have to listen to find out....