Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Pilate = Excercise

The latest cds I have been enjoying for the past month are:

1. Stephen Fearing – Yellowjacket
A great disc I picked up on the spur of the moment after reading something in the paper about his 'intimate' performance at the Tulip Festival. It is essentially a pop album but his great voice, interesting lyrics and unique sound keep it different enough for me to enjoy. He is one of those Canadian artists who will never achieve huge fame (a la Micheal Buble) but keep on trekkin because of their love of music and it shows.

2. Mark Knopfler and EmmyLou Harris – All the Roadrunning
Who would ever think I would end up listening to a country album. I guess it was bound to happen after listening to copious amounts of Folk-Rock from Iron and Wine and Bright Eyes. I have never really cared for either Mark Knopfler or EmmyLou Harris on their own. Singing together brings out the best in each while leaving out the annoying country twang and classic rock guitar solos. It’s a solid disc that I have listened to over and over again. Plus, Irene likes it too.

3. Pilot Speed formerly Pilate – Sell Control for Life’s Speed
One of my favourite bands, and another Tulip Festival performer. These guys know how to make a solid album. This album is not straying from the sound of ‘Caught By The Window’ but that is definitely not a bad thing. The melodic angst ridden music reaches a high on a track called ‘Turn the Lights On’. It’s a sad song and I am a huge sucker for sad music. It sounds a lot like Starsailor or a slowed down version of Muse. All in all it has got me hooked like only a good cd can.
Check it out.
On a side note, I think they had to change their name because of legal issues in the USA due to the similarity of their name to the excercise routine....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rueben,

It pains me that you don't appreciate the music of Mark Knopfler on his own. Sailing to Philedelphia is a fabulous album. Are you a fan of Dire Straits? Thanks for the recommendation however, I will look for the Mark Knopfler and EmmyLou Harris album.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Pilot Speed. Only in America.

Reuben said...

Dire Staits is decent music to listen to now and again but it definitely is not the type of music I am passionate about. It doesn't do anything for me emotionally and that is what I expect from my music.

Joel:
Is it really Pilot Speed only in America? I think they changed it only because of America. They could not release their cd unless they changed it. However they had already released it in Canada under the name Pilate.