Friday, November 03, 2006

Another Music Switcheroo

Listening to: Sufjan Stevens - Sufjan Stevens invites you to: Come on feel the Illinoise

A couple months ago I promised Tim that I'd write a blog on some music he handed to me. After listening to it and growing to love it oh so much I have come to some conclusions that may or may not change. These cds have made it through my mp3 player several times in the past months. Since I am doing a major overhaul on my player contents I figured this was as good a time as any to pause and reflect on the good tunes that have worked themselves into my heart.
So here is a selection of the latest:

Belle & Sebastien - Push Barman to Open Old Wounds: I love these guys. In fact after only a few listens I went out and bought the actual cd. Nothing like some modern scottish rock ballads to soothe the soul. I can't believe I missed their North American tour. Its also the best type of music for a lonely bus ride through the city.

Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah - Selftitled: Also an amazing disc, a little like the Arcade Fire but better I think in some respects (clearly not in all respects). This band encompasses all that I love about modern rock music. It is a super solid disc through and through.

Islands - Return to the Sea: What can I say other than I listened to it over and over again while driving back to Ottawa from camping in the summer. 5 hours of the same cd! Not to many cds can handle that. Click on the link for a good pitchfork review.

Preston School of Industry - Monsoon: Another great disc. Lots of good wails. Their version of 'Caught in the Rain' is amazing.

Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary: Took a while to get into this one as it is louder than most music I am into these days. Has a bit of a Franz Ferdinand feel to it. Good times.

Yo La Tengo - Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs: 1985-2003: A smattering indeed. I have really only begun in the last two weeks to appreciate this band. I prefer some of the softer songs on disc 2 like 'Autumn Sweater' and 'Tears Are in Your Eyes'. They tend to go on these lengthy noisy bits which you really have to listen too hard if you want to appreciate it.

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible: One of my favourite bands and this cd fits in well as a good backdrop to my other manics cds. It is some of their older stuff from when they still had their lead singer and a 4-piece band. Its rougher and louder and you have to like the manics to like this stuff. I recommend their more accessible compilations like 'Lipstick Traces' to get into the (in my opinion) kings of Britpop.

Happy Listening!

3 comments:

Tim said...

I agree, especially about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah...amazing record. one of the best three debut albums I've heard, I think, along with Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights and the Arcade Fire's Funeral, which technically wasn't even a debut. Only a major label debut. But I like the comparison to them - kind of a similar sound, other than the vocals.

Reuben said...

Yeah thanks for the music Tim - could you get me the Decemberists disc if you have it and anything else you have of interest this weekend? that would be really awesome. we are coming down (did you get the email about dinner on sat?)

Dan, i thought you like B&S because of your title on your Xanga. (i read it all the time and I have a link to it on mine) Plus you go to Mohawk so your cool!
(ps you spelled cartoon wrong) but your still cool.

Reuben said...

oh well we all make mistakes. like when i wrote "but your still cool" it should have been "but you're still cool"

so i guess the point would be that we are all still cool.

stupid grammer