Thursday, January 10, 2008

1st Annual Enjoyment Awards (without any actual awards)

Since it seems to be the thing to do these days, I have decided to jump into the making a favorites of the year list.
However, I am not confining my list to music and it is not necessarily my favourites of the year. Actually some of the music may not even be from 2007. My list is all about the stuff I got the most enjoyment out of in 2007. Most likely no one will agree with me but that really doesn't matter because in this individualistic post-modern age it is all relative right?
Anyways, here it is:

My most enjoyed artist of 2007 was:
Sufjan Stevens who also happens to be my favorite artist these days.

Some runners up were Great Lake Swimmers, Iron & Wine and The Arcade Fire

My most enjoyed album of 2007 was:
Iron & Wine's The Shepherd's Dog which I purchased after listening to every other Iron & Wine song a billion times and deciding more couldn't hurt. And it didn't.

The runners up were In Rainbows (didn't get enough time to enjoy it in 2007), Sigur Ros (Takk...) and Neon Bible from The Arcade Fire of course.

My most enjoyed song of 2007 was:
Could just as easily have been something by Great Lake Swimmers or Sufjan Stevens but I think I will have to go with Sodom, South Georgia by Iron & Wine. That is a tune I have turned back to several times during the year and it never fails to make me close my eyes and just listen....
Much like the song Orange Sky by Alexi Murdoch which makes a very poignant appearance in Zach Braff's Garden State (my most enjoyed movie of 2007).

Some runners up would be one of the new Radiohead tunes (can't really choose) or maybe Ryan Adams' La Cienega Just Smiled.

My most enjoyed live performance of 2007 was definitely the Great Lake Swimmers who melted the place with awesome vocals and perfect (but not too perfect) playing. Also the drummer stepped on my foot.

The runners up would have to be Kathleen Edwards featuring Jim Bryson at WestFest.

My most enjoyed Local Band (Greater Ottawa Area) of 2007 was:
Craig Cardiff because I could not (and still can't) get over his album Judy Garland (You're Never Home) even though it is over 10 years old now.

The runners up are The Acorn (one of the best Ottawa bands) and if I move out of the Ottawa area it could expand to include the Great Lake Swimmers and Tim Dejong (especially if he had more songs)

My most enjoyed music venue of 2007 was:
Black Sheep Inn, Wakefield QC hands down.

My most enjoyed city of 2007 was:
Barcelona, Spain.

And last but not least my most enjoyed person of 2007 was:
Irene

2 comments:

Tim said...

Pretty good list. Of course songs like Sodom South Georgia and La Cienega Just Smiled are from 2004 or earlier, not 2007, so it misses the point of "Best of 2007" a bit. But whatever.

Reuben said...

But that was my point. It was MY most enjoyed stuff of the year. It didn't matter when it was released. What mattered was I happened to enjoy it the most in 2007.