Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Spring Concerts #3: Joel Plaskett w/ friends and family

This next concert was really neat because I am a relatively new fan of Plaskett. I liked his solo stuff and the other stuff he did with his band 'The Emergency' but I never really got into it. It was too Canadian for me or something. Kind of like the Tragically Hip. I also didn't really care for his 90's punk band 'Thrush Hermit'. Whatever it was I became fast fan when I started listening to his latest 'solo' album called 'Three'. This album is a concept album consisting of three discs and many songs have a 3 word title. I think it is also a more mature shift for him with more complicated lyrics and better vocals but it definitely still has his trademark east coast easy going humor.
The album was recorded specifically with his father and two singer songwriters (who are also on his label) Ana Egge and Rose Cousins. Since their voices are so integral to the songs they had to go on tour with him.

At some points he brought his whole band out to do some of the songs and hammer out some of the classics. This concert was quite monumental because he was playing a concert with more people on stage than ever before.
We sat on the front row of the Balcony at the Bronson Centre. It was a pretty good view.
All in all it was a great show that made me into a much bigger fan of his than ever before. That is what a good show is supposed to do I think.

No comments: